What Types Of Health Coverage Are There?
It is important to learn more about all of the types of health coverage that may be available to you.
- Health insurance marketplace
- Employment-based health insurance
- This is coverage that is offered through your job or a family member's job.
- Employers usually pay a portion of your plan's cost through employer cost sharing
- You can learn more about employment-based health insurance by contacting the Human Resource (HR) department at your workplace.
- Student-Based Health Insurance
- This is coverage offered through your college or university.
- You can learn more about this type of insurance from your student health clinic or the student affairs at your school.
- Even if you are a student, you are required to have coverage under the Affordable care Act or you'll have to pay a non-coverage penalty fee.
Employment-based health insurance
- Government Programs
- CareLink is a financial assistance program, and not an insurance.
- If you have a balance, you are required to make a monthly payment based on your total hoousehold income and family size.
- You will be assigned your own primary care physician and have access to quality healthcare at University Health System.
- To schedule an appointment to enroll or renew your membership, call (210) 358-3350, or visit Care Link website
- or email CareLink@uhs-sa.com
- For more information: CareLink brochure
Medicaid provides free or low-cost for some low-income people, families and children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with disabilities.MORE INFORMATION
CHILDREN'S HEALTH INSURANCE PROGRAM (CHIP)
CHIP provides low-cost health coverage to children in families that earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid.MORE INFORMATION
Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain younger people with diabilities, and people with End-Stage Renal Disease.MORE INFORMATION
The CareLink financial assistance program is open to San Antonio/Bexar County residents who do not have private or public health insurance.